Find focus with meditation
As the end of the year creeps closer, stress levels rise. Whether you’re still stuck in exam mode, working to meet deadlines or wondering how to survive December financially, you need to relax but stay focused. The answer? Meditation. It has loads of health benefits. Best of all – it’s free! Here’s how to get started.
What is meditation?
Meditation means different things to different people. But generally it’s a way to clear your mind while finding stillness in your body. The goal is to rid your thoughts of distractions and worries , and to focus on one thing. It could be your breath – in and out, a sound – music or the birds, or even a feeling. The point is not drift off but to remain aware and calm.
Just some of the benefits of meditation:
- It lowers blood pressure
- It boosts your immune system
- It gives you energy
- It can reduce panic attacks
- It helps you focus
- It can help with tension related illnesses – like headaches, ulcers, insomnia etc.
Meditation for beginners:
- Find a quiet place where you won’t be disturbed. Make it peaceful with candles and incense, if you like. Dim the lights and put your phone on silent.
- Sit or lie down in a comfortable pose you can hold for a while. Sit up straight with your legs crossed or lie on your back with your arms and legs outstretched.
- Close your eyes.
- Now focus on your breath. Paying attention to your inhale and exhale will help prevent your mind from running away with you.
- Bring your awareness to your body and how it feels when you breathe in and out.
- When your mind starts to think about other things (and it will) bring it back to your breath. It might even help to silently say a mantra or phrase as you breathe. “Let” as you inhale. “Go” as you exhale.
- Keep practising. Meditation is hard in the beginning but it gets easier. Try to set aside a time every morning or evening to meditate.
- Increase your meditation time. Start with 5 or ten minutes and eventually aim to meditate for 20 minutes.
Did you find this article helpful? Yes No