4 questions to ask your doctor if you’re sexually active

Being sexually active comes with the responsibility of being cautious when it comes to your sexual health. Although speaking to your healthcare provider can be scary (especially if they’re older), it’s important to ask the right questions so you can be at ease.

Is my discharge normal?

If you develop discharge that makes you feel uneasy, it’s important to find whether it’s normal. Don’t be afraid to talk to your doctor about any symptoms, like a change in smell, colour or itchiness if you’re experiencing this.

What’s the best contraceptive method for me?

If you’re not ready to have a baby, then you should have a conversation about the right birth control for you, based on your medical history and personal preference. Do some research on all your options and then speak to your doctor about them.

What period changes do I need to lookout for?

Some women experience changes in their menstrual cycle and they assume that it’s because they’re sexually active, but you need to clarify this with your doctor and know which changes you need to lookout for, if any, so that you can get medical attention if necessary.

How often should I get tested for STIs?

I always talk about frequent testing for STIs and HIV, but it’s important to get this information from your healthcare provider. They’ll explain STI screening and assist with treatment and counselling if necessary.

Healthcare professionals are there to help with any health related questions or concerns that you have, so make sure you’re open and honest with them. Don’t be afraid to ask as may questions as you need to and don’t be afraid to get a second opinion from another healthcare provider if you’re not satisfied.

If you need more on this or you want help, you can contact me here on Ask Choma, send me a Facebook Messagea Twitter DM, or a WhatsApp Message (071 172 3657).